I’m sure that I’ve mentioned his name a few times on this site but if you don’t know who I’m talking about, Hank Shaw is the genius behind Hunter Angler Gardner Cook who has written a very well received cookbook. We’ve linked and talked back and forth for as long as my website has been around, and now you too get the chance to meet the accomplished author in person and try some of his recipes made with your area’s local bounty. How cool is that?
Hank is driving around the country doing dinner/book signings to promote his book, and having been to the first one I can tell you right now: Go make reservations, quickly.
Austin’s much celebrated Fino did an excellent job putting their own twist on Hank’s recipes, and the food was blissful. I mean, I can now say that I’ve had a squirrel rillette amuse bouche. Can you say that? Doubtful.
Above is a picture of Paul C. snagging on of the last Clams Casino, which was followed by Spring crab salad, a mind-blowingly great Provencal Fish Bisque with saffron, a herbed wild boar sausage, Hank’s version of Doves a La Mancha done with local quail (see below), and a blueberry sorbet based off his mulberry sorbet.
Those plump little quail were so mouth-watering I ended up making a very similar version for a few friends recently. If you want to be inspired, check out the dates and places below. This is one culinary event you DO NOT want to miss.
- JULY 16 – Stella at the Cedar House Sport Hotel in Truckee. (Click for reservations)
- JULY 24 – Forage SF in San Francisco. Hank will be cooking an all-wild tasting menu with Iso Rabins. (Click for reservations)
- AUG. 18 – Sea Rocket Bistro in San Diego. This will be an all-sustainable, all-local seafood feast! (Click for reservations)
- SEPT. 6 – Ludivine in Oklahoma City. (Details on tickets to come)
- SEPT. 13 – Poole’s Diner in Raleigh. (Details on tickets to come)
- SEPT. 20 – Bibiana in Washington, DC. (Click for reservations)
- SEPT. 22 – Public in New York City. (Click for reservations)
- SEPT. 28 – Craigie on Main in Boston. (Click for reservations)
- OCT. 2 – Farmstead in Providence. (Click for reservations)
- OCT. 5 – Eleven in Pittsburgh. (Click for reservations)
- OCT. 11 – The Corner Table in Minneapolis. (Details on tickets to come)
- OCT. 17 – The Drake Hotel in Toronto. (Click for reservations)
- OCT. 20 – Vie in Chicago. (Click for Reservations)
- OCT. 27 – Bin 119 in Billings, MT. (Call 406 294 9119 for reservations)